Who To Notify About A Death

When you are ready, there are a number of people and organisations that need to know when someone dies. This helps finalise the deceased’s affairs and makes sure you get the help you need.

The following checklist shows you many of the people and organisations you may need to contact:

  • The Funeral Director
  • Solicitor
  • Public Trustee
  • Executor of Will
  • Social Security and/or Veterans’ Affairs
  • Banks and other Financial Institutions
  • Employers
  • Landlord/Real Estate Agent
  • Home care nursing services or meals on wheels
  • Insurance Companies (including life insurers and superannuation funds)
  • Hire Purchase Companies
  • Australian Taxation Office
  • Telephone Companies
  • Medicare
  • Electoral Office
  • Local and State Authorities (e.g. Councils for Rates)
  • Motor Vehicle Registry
  • Health Funds
  • Clubs, Organisations and Professional Bodies
  • Public Service Providers such as Libraries
  • Local Electricity Authority
  • Gas Supply Company
  • Department Store Accounts/Credit Card Accounts
  • Health Professionals (Doctor, Dentist)
  • Post Office