Many people don’t know who to contact when someone dies. In most instances, it will depend on where and how the person dies.
The following provides a guide as to what the next step should be when a death occurs.
When should you call us?
Regardless of the circumstances at the time of death, it is important that you contact us. Please call 1800 266 588 as soon as possible. Our experienced staff are available 24 hours a day and we can begin making the funeral arrangements as soon as you call. Our commitment to providing the highest standard of service ensures the arrangements are made with professionalism, empathy and respect for your wishes and those of the deceased.
In this instance, the Director of Nursing, Sister or Nurse in Charge will be able to help you with the formalities and will make arrangements for the Doctor to issue a medical cause of death. If a person is to be cremated, you should notify the hospital or nursing home immediately, as additional documentation needs to be prepared by the Doctor. Advising them of this decision early will save possible delays. You should also contact us on 1800 266 588 as soon as possible so we can begin liaising with the nursing home or hospital and make the necessary arrangements.
If a relative or friend dies at home, the first person you should contact is their Doctor. If the Doctor can confirm the cause of death, they can issue a medical cause of death. The next step is to contact us on 1800 266 588. We can arrange for the deceased to be transferred to our funeral home and attend to any other arrangements on your behalf.
If the death is sudden or accidental, or the cause of death cannot be confirmed, it is the Doctor's responsibility to notify the police. In these cases, it is important the deceased is not moved or disturbed in any way without the authorisation of the Coroner. The police will contact a government appointed funeral home to transfer the deceased from the place of death to the Coroner's mortuary. The Coroner will then investigate and determine the cause of death, which may involve a postmortem examination. This procedure may slightly delay the funeral arrangements until the necessary clearance is obtained.
In these circumstances, it is still your right and responsibility to contact the funeral director of your choice so they can attend to the funeral arrangements in line with your wishes.
Regardless of the circumstances at the time of death, it is important that you contact us on 1800 266 588 as soon as possible. Our experienced staff are available 24 hours a day and we can begin making the funeral arrangements as soon as you call. Our commitment to providing the highest standard of service ensures the arrangements are made with professionalism, empathy and respect for your wishes and those of the deceased.
How We Can Help You?
Our staff has many years of experience in helping families create a memorable funeral. Our professional expertise and knowledge ensures our services meet all your requirements.
As funeral directors we provide a wide range of services to help ease the burden in your time of need. We are not restricted to providing only the services listed below so if there is a special request, please do not hesitate to ask for our assistance.
We will know what to do.
- Our highly trained staff can organise funerals locally, intrastate, interstate and overseas.
- At any time of the day, we can arrange for the deceased to be placed in our care.
- At a convenient time and place, we can meet with you to discuss the funeral arrangements.
- The option of using all female, all male or a combination of funeral directors is available, ensuring all the funeral arrangements are handled by the people you feel most comfortable with.
- We can liaise with clergy or a celebrant regarding the type of service you prefer, and the date, time and place.
- We can help you choose a coffin or casket from our large range.
- Our staff can obtain the burial or cremation certificate from the Doctor or Coroner.
- We will organise a time and place for a burial or cremation.
- On your behalf, we can complete registration details with the Government Registrar and, if required, arrange and pay for certified copies of the death certificate.
- If the deceased wished to donate their organs, we can assist you in contacting the relevant authorities.
Please call Gregory & Carr Funerals on 1800 266 588